Friday, November 16, 2012

What if the Library were open till 3am during exams?


Hello blog world,

It’s been awhile.... But I’m back and ready to go!!! Lots to update on for sure. Well the school year is already in full swing, and by that I mean first semester is quickly reaching an end. Before we know it there will be shiny new xrings all around campus, and the start of exam season will be upon us. With the exam season comes a major concern and that would be STUDY SPACE!

The Student Senators have been out and about asking students what some of their concerns are related to academics. One of the most common responses was study space, and let me assure you it is at the top of my agenda! I am currently exploring the option of extending library hours for the December Exam period. I would like to know your thoughts on this. Is having the library open till 3am something of interest to you or your friends? Would you stay at the library past midnight? Would you rather have the library open late or the SUB? All very important questions that I would love/need to hear feedback on. I will be sure to keep everyone informed as this process continues, and I further embark on the journey of bringing late night study space to StFX. I am meeting regularly with Lynne Murphy the University Librarian and her staff, as well as Dave MacNeil the Interim Director of Safety and Security, and Leon MacLellan the Director of Facilities Management. 

Please let me know your thoughts by answering this question on The U Facebook or email me at su_vp@stfx.ca. The more I can show the Library and Administration that this is a top priority for us students, the greater the possibility of extended hours.

http://www.facebook.com/theu.stfx.students.union <- Please answer the question at this link

The current discussions in regards to extended hours concern security of students and the building. I remain optimistic that we can find a solution that all can agree on. Again though any feedback is greatly appreciated.

In other news the Antigonish Womens Resource Centre and The Students' Union joint project on Engaging Youth and Preventing Violence Against Women at StFX was recently made public. Check out the link below.

Please stay tuned for more information on STUDY SPACES and the potential for a FALL READING DAY BREAK.

More to report in the coming week or so. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Be kind to one another and ask your friends if they would study late at the lib in December!

Rachel Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment