Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wingsday in the 'nish



Alright, my turn here on the ol' summer blog. My name is Jessie and I am pumped to be your VP Student Relations this year! Summer is the 'nish has been quite the treat so far, great summer weather, great company, and busy  days that seem to be flying by. Not to mention, campus is absolutely beautiful! Aside from work in the office, I am doing classes (done on Monday!), watching Grey's Anatomy (first time ever... no spoilers please), indulging in The Rolling Bricks Pizza, visiting the Farmer's Market, tweeting, and frequenting Tall and Small.. not too much out of the ordinary really.  


As for the Monday 9-5, my position is a lot different in the summer than it is during the school year. I am lucky to have the opportunity to work with 30 amazing house presidents, vice presidents, off campus leaders and house council coordinators in my position...but unfortunately they aren't here until August 27th! To fill this void I have been meeting bi-weekly with the Residence Life Coordinators (RLC's) to coordinate our training schedules and review frosh letters, frosh shirts, and prepare for the arrival of the frosh! Until the house presidents are back I will keep busy planning training week, putting together training manuals, developing a house council handbook and learning more about what our university and community have to offer! I have also been compiling a list of local charities for the residences to look at this year when deciding which charity their house charity events will benefit. It is important to me that our charity money stays in the community as much as possible.


Aside from office work I have also been working on a few committees this summer. The Student Orientation Committee (SOC) is currently in the process of putting together FROSH WEEK (you may have heard of it...jello slide anyone?) and more information will become available in the coming weeks. One thing I can say is that the incoming frosh are in for the best week of their life, and the house presidents are STOKED to provide them with the best possible guidance throughout! Other committees I am working on include the Event Review Committee and the Food Service Liaison Committee which will become more active in the coming weeks as we nail down some policy and finalize some decisions. 


Lastly, I had the opportunity to travel to Halifax with Nick and Pat for the ANSSA Board Education Retreat a few weeks ago and you can read more about our trip in Nick's summary below! 


Well that's a basic outline of what I have been up to for the last few weeks. If you have any questions about my position feel free to send me an email or stop by my office.


I might venture into the world of video blogging (vlog...ing?) next week... or at least improve my picture selection.


Until next time, 


Jessie 













No comments:

Post a Comment